About Brasov

A little history of Brasov

Did you know that…?

  • In 1793, the authorities drew attention to the “danger resulting for the city because of young people who walk the streets at night, wandering cafes for shooting pool.”
  • In 1789, reading offices were opened, where one could read newspapers, magazines and books and lectures were held.
  • In 1801, public lighting with oil lamps was introduced, 110 lanterns being bought.
  • By 1803, the drinking water supply was ensured through piped wood (debarked and drilled wood trunks), later replaced with clay pipes.
  • In 1772, to avoid wastage, authorities restricted the number of participants in the ceremonies of marriage to 12 pairs for the notables, 8 pairs for prominent citizens, 6 pairs for ordinary residents.
  • In 1798, there were 1936 workshops organized in 43 guilds. All guild products had to  be marked with the emblem of the city. The guild forbade access for the unmarried.

Transilvania University of Brasov

is a state institution of higher education located in Brasov, Romania, and by its educational offer, scientific research and number of students represents one of Romania’s large universities, being the representative university for Region 7 – Centre.” The University includes 18 faculties with a total of about 20 000 de students and 800 teaching staff. The University offers 100 FT, PT and distance learning bachelor’s study programmes and 66 advanced studies or scientific reasearch master’s programmes, also FT, PT and distance learning. At present doctoral studies are available in 17 fields.

Transilvania University of Brasov